What training classes are offered?
- If your puppy is between 12 and 20 weeks of age and housebroken, then the Puppy Kindergarten Class is what you want.
- If your dog is over 20 weeks of age and has had little or no previous training, then Beginners Obedience Class would be appropriate. This class is for dogs of all ages with little or no previous training.
- Click here for all class descriptions.
What is your training philosophy?
- Our goal is to promote good neighborly behavior in dogs through the best training practices using positive reinforcement. Our motto is Performance Equals Practice, Patience and Praise.
What are the requirements to register for a class?
- Proof that immunization records are current and up to date MUST be submitted via email or mail prior to your first class. All copies of subsequent immunization records can be brought to class. (Copies of vet’s immunization record statement/certificates/proof of titer are acceptable.) If records are not made available BEFOREyour first class starts, your dog will not be permitted to attend the class.
- Puppies MUST have at least two DHLPP (Distemper) boosters before attending class.The training administrator will inform you if any other vaccines are required.
- We suggest having your vet’s approval for placing puppies in class before they had all their immunizations, so you are aware of possible health risks.
- All dogs MUST have Bordetella, DHLPP (Distemper) and Rabies vaccinations for all classes other than Puppy Kindergarten.
What are the costs for the classes you offer?
- The cost varies. There are 6, 8 and, sometimes, 4-week classes. Some rally classes are on-going. For exact price details click here. You will be directed to the dog training classes.
How do I pay for my class?
- Under your class of choice, click on the Register Now Button
- Pick your Ticket Type
- Complete the registration form
- Check the box I have Read and Agree to LBDTC’s Agreement
- Click on Proceed to Payment – This will take you to the Pay Pal login screen where there are 2 options. Either enter your email or phone number for your existing Pay Pal account and continue through the payment process as you normally would, or if you don’t want to create a Pay Pal account, choose pay with your Debit or Credit Card.
- If you choose to pay with your Debit or Credit Card, you will see Check Out as Guest. Enter your email and click continue to payment.
- Enter your contact information and debit or credit card number. IMPORTANT – At the bottom of the information you just entered, “UNCHECK” SAVE INFO AND CREATE YOUR PAY PAL ACCOUNT. Pay Pal will process your payment without creating a Pay Pal account.
- Once your payment is processed, you are officially confirmed in your class.
When are classes held?
- Click here to be directed to the dog training classes.
Is a Canine Good Citizen (CGC) certification required for my dog?
- Yes and No:
- No, if you are in a Puppy, Beginners Obedience or Advanced Obedience class. Our Advanced Obedience class is designed for your dog and you to be successfully evaluated during the last class session to qualify for your CGC certification.
- Yes, if you plan to train with LBDTC for other class offerings, a CGC will be required.
What supplies do I need to bring to class?
- Puppy Kindergarten: a 6-foot leash only (leather, nylon or cotton) and a buckle collar.
- Other classes: a 6-foot leash only (leather, nylon or cotton). Leather leashes and various types of training collars are available for purchase, if one is recommended.
- No Flexi-leads/retractable leashes.
- Bring treats for your dog; small, soft high value treats are best. (chicken, liver, bacon, hot dog, string cheese).
- Bring a small bowl/dish for water for your dog.
Can my child/children help train our dog?
- Yes, if over ten years old. One person/handler permitted on the floor at a time.
- Children UNDER 10 years of age are not permitted on the training floor.
- A responsible adult must accompany under 16 years of age.
What if I’m ill or my dog is ill or “in season”?
- Dogs that are ill or “in season” are not permitted in class; handler attends class without the dog and continues working at home. It is recommended that “in season” dogs return to training class after 3 weeks and having a bath. If the handler is ill or otherwise unable to attend, please call the club phone number (215) 493-1201. Be aware that all skills/exercises taught one week are reviewed and practiced during subsequent weeks.
Should my dog eat before coming to class?
- You can feed your dog 3 hours or more prior to coming to class. Prior to coming into the class give your dog the opportunity to relieve itself in our Designated Area. It is essential that you PICK UP AFTER YOUR DOG.
Are there any safety issues I need to know before starting training at LBDTC?
- Due to insurance regulations, and for personal safety, all handlers must wear sneakers or rubber soled shoes. The trainer will inform you if your footwear is inappropriate.
- We respect and expect the use of the “3-foot rule” while training your dog. Dogs (like people) do not like to have their personal space compromised. You are always expected to be aware of your dog’s surroundings and maintain a 3-foot separation from other dogs and to keep your dog actively engaged in training, even if you are waiting your turn to practice commands individually. Our trainers will provide many options for you and your dog.
- LBDTC reserves the right to excuse any dog/handler for behavior deemed inappropriate or disruptive to the class.
- For the safety of all concerned, dogs deemed aggressive will be dismissed from the class at the discretion of the training staff.
Can older dogs and rescued/adopted dogs benefit from your classes?
- Yes, definitely! LBDTC expects those dogs will benefit from our classes. We have experienced great success with rescued/adopted dogs. Some of our best performers are dogs with those backgrounds. As they say, “It is never too late to teach an old dog new tricks.” It is widely believed that being around other dogs in training class is a great way to help re-socialize a re-homed dog while performing commands.
What should I do to find out if a class is cancelled due to inclement weather?
- It is your responsibility to call the club phone number (215-493-1201) or check our website to confirm whether classes are cancelled due to weather. There will be an informational message by 4:00PM that day. If LBDTC cancels a class, it will be made up the week after classes were scheduled to end.
Can I become a member of LBDTC?
- Yes, click here for membership information.
Are there refunds made if classes are missed or if circumstances do not facilitate attendance?
- Our policy is that no refunds will be made.